Labels

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Fourth batch cucumbers

            I''m relatively new to canning, and by that I mean I started last year, Google taught me, and I'm still terrified I'm going to give myself botulism. That said, after the first few batches of following dill and sweet pickle recipes EXACTLY, a girl starts to wonder.... Wouldn't Chipotle Chile make this smoky sweet, Kung Pao peppers bring on the heat, or ginger give a zing????

Enter the tinkering novice...  Little dash here, couple tablespoons there and I've created a monster of flavor in a pickle.  Is it perfectly safe? I have no idea.... I keep the ratios of vinegar, salt, sugar, and water the same; since the brine is what preserves the pickles, so I'm assuming all the other accoutrements can be tinkered with.

Fourth batch cucumbers, follow at your own risk!

Chipotle Curried Ginger Pickles

3 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
2 cups white sugar
2 tbs Chipotle chili powder (Spice Island) 
2 tbs hot Madras curry powder (Sharwood's)

1 tbs pickling spice OR 1t cardamon + 1t peppercorn + 1t cinnamon 
1t ground ginger
1/4 cup canning salt 
Around 4-5 lbs of cucumbers

Start 2 pots of boiling water on back burners. (One is extra, because it sucks when the water doesn't cover your jars in the first pot and you have to add more water then heat it again... I know, I've done this.)
In one pot place your jars, I usually guess high and add 9-10.

Cuke prep
Rinse thoroughly. If making slices or spears cut, sprinkle with 1/4 cup salt and refrigerate one hour (toss the blossom end piece). For whole pickles just discard the blossom end, usually a 1/6th inch slice will do. Rinse cukes in cold water. Let strain for 15 minutes. 

While cukes are straining, pour the vinegar, sugar, and water in a pot. Either toss in the spices OR place them in cheesecloth ( in my case I dumped some Lipton tea out of its bag and used that.  Side note: buy cheesecloth).

Heat to a boil for five to ten minutes. (I did ten, every recipe I've ever seen says to boil at LEAST five.) Remove cheesecloth, Lipton bag if used.

Remove jars from water bath onto towel. Pack cucumbers into said jars. And I mean pack... Shove those little shits in as tight as they will go.
Ladle hot brine over cucumbers. Wipe rims of jars with damp paper towel.  (I wipe mine with vinegar, helps cut any potential grease.) 

Dip the clean lid in the water bath with tongs for a few second, wipe dry with paper towel and cap jar.  
Finger tighten lid. Place jars in water bath canner, boil for 15 minutes, remove to towel. 

Check after 24 hours for seal. (Or stand in front of them with your ear strained for an hour listening for a "pop" like me.) 

Shelf stable 1 year + if sealed.  ***No spice sponsors.. I'm just picky about my spices, feel free to replace with your own brand.


3 comments:

  1. Instead of a canner can I just use a big pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can, Candy. I use Paul's stock pot for the water bath canning.

      Delete